Targeted Fuel Extraction Process
Fiberight developed a Targeted Fuel Extraction (TFE) process to cost effectively and efficiently convert municipal solid waste (MSW) into cellulosic biofuel, plant energy and marketable electricity. The TFE is a remarkably innovative system that separates, cleans and processes organic and hydrocarbon fractions of the waste stream. Once separated, the recyclable fraction is sold to as recycled content feedstock to end markets who make new products out of old and the organic fraction is converted into renewable fuels.
Innovative technologies, proven on a commercial scale, such as enzyme recycling and cellulosic sugar concentration have been developed to achieve high yield renewable fuels at a low conversion cost. During 2009, Fiberight demonstrated the value of robust enzyme catalysts used by our strategic technical partner, Novozymes. The technology platform has been tested at an industrial scale, all the way through finished transportation grade fuel; making Fiberight one of the first companies in the US to achieve this important milestone.
An Optimized Processes
- MSW is deposited on the tip floor by established solid waste haulers at a competitive tip fee.
- In a continuous fed fashion:
- First sort removes unsuitable waste, such as inert materials and large bulky items
- Remaining materials are pulped.
- Second sort separates the curbside-type recyclables from food waste and other organics in the waste stream
- Additional revenue generated from marketable recyclables recovered: Cardboard & Paper, Plastic (ideal for energy production), Metal, Wood and Textiles
- Organics go through a primary wash for ash removal and cellular disruption for yield maximization combined with a sterilization stage
- High solids loading for cellulosic sugar concentration and efficient conversion to renewable fuels and credit qualification
- Glucose concentration step improves fuel yield & energy balance while obviating “stuck” fermentation
- Enzymatic digestion & fermentation
- Secondary wash to overcome glucose inhibition & glucose losses
- Enzyme recovery enables high enzyme dosing and yield improvement while controlling cost
- Closed-loop waste water treatment with waste wash water sent to Anaerobic Digestion for biogas production
- Once renewable fuel production is complete a digestate fiber is available for compost production or can be pelletized for energy recovery